Recently published legislation introduces changes to the Points Test for General Skilled Migration visas commencing 16 November 2019.
These changes are relevant to existing Subclass 489,189 and 190 and the new Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Subclass 491 visa, which will also commence on 16 November 2019.
The changes to the points test will include:
- 10 points for Specialist Educational qualifications. Currently 5 points.
- 10 points for applicants with a skilled spouse or de facto partner (under 45 with Competent English, suitable skills assessment and with an occupation on the same skilled occupation list). Currently 5 points.
- 10 points for applicants who do not have a spouse or de facto partner or who have a spouse or de facto partner who is an Australian citizen or a Permanent resident (New)
- 5 points for applicants with a spouse or de facto partner who has competent English (New)
- 15 points for applicants who are nominated by a State or Territory government, or who are sponsored by a suitable family member. These points are relevant to applicants for a Subclass 489 visa or the new Subclass 491 visa. Currently 10 points.
When all points except partner qualifications are equal, invitations will be ranked in the below order:
- First: applicants with a skilled spouse or de facto partner.
- Equal First: applicants without a spouse or de facto partner.
- Second: applicants with a spouse or de facto partner who demonstrates Competent English but who does not have the skills to obtain skilled partner points.
- Third: Applicants with a spouse or de facto partner who is ineligible for either competent English or Skilled partner points.
Need visa assistance, contact us: