Student Visa (Subclass 500)

The Student (Temporary) (Class TU) (Subclass 500) visa allows for the entry of genuine international students to Australia for the purpose of studying in the country on a temporary basis.


  • You may be in or outside Australia to lodge a valid visa application.
  • This visa allows you to work (with specific conditions and limitations), study and live in Australia.
  • This is a Temporary visa and allows you to stay in Australia temporarily. The type and length of your course of study will determine the length of your visa.

Key Eligibility requirements

  • You must be enrolled in a course of study (eCOE).
  • You must meet the genuine temporary stay requirement (GTE).
  • If required by the Minister, you may need to provide evidence of your level of English language proficiency.
  • You must be able to demonstrate that you have access to sufficient funds to cover the cost of your stay in Australia including the ability to pay course fees, travel to and from Australia and living cost.
  • You must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance (OSHC)
  • You must satisfy certain Public Interest criteria and Special Return criteria.
  • You must meet health and character requirements.

Contact us if you would like to know more about this visa or need immigration advice.

Please note that the above is not an exhaustive list of requirements. This content is for general information purposes only, it is not immigration advice and must not be construed as such.
While due care has been taken to ensure that the content is kept-up-to-date and correct, the currency and thus accuracy of the information cannot be guarantee due to the frequent changes in migration law.

Other related visas

Training (Class GF) Subclass 407

This visa allows visa holders to enter Australia to participate in occupational training activities, including classroom-based professional development activities with a designated sponsor.

Working & Skills Visas

To allow visa holders to enter Australia temporarily or permanently to live and work in the country. Work visas are for skilled workers, people participating in specific activities, highly specialized workers, experienced business people, investors, sponsored workers etc.