Return (Residence) Visa (Subclass 157)
The purpose of the Resident Return visa (RRV) (Class BB) (Subclass 157) is to allow certain persons who are or have been permanent residents or citizens of Australia to return to the country as permanent residents.
- You may be in or outside Australia to lodge a valid visa application.
- This visa allows you to work, study and live in Australia.
- This is a Permanent resident visa and allows you to stay in Australia indefinitely with a travel facility of 3 months.
Key Eligibility requirements
- You must be an Australian permanent resident, an Australian citizen who lost or renounced Australian citizenship or a former Australian permanent resident.
- You must meet one of these requirements:
- have been lawfully in Australia for at least 1 day but less than 2 years within the last 5 as the holder of a permanent visa or Australian citizenship. Additionally, you must have compelling and compassionate reasons for leaving or have left the country or,
- you are a member of the family unit of a person who holds a Subclass 157 or who meets the requirements and has lodged an application for this visa.
- If you are offshore you must have not been absent from Australia for a continuous period of more than 3 months before making the application unless there are compelling and compassionate reasons for the absence.
- You must satisfy certain Public Interest criteria.
- If you apply from offshore you must satisfy certain Special Return criteria.