Last list update: 11 June 2021 | see more
EOI Backlog current to: 28/02/2021
639211: Retail Buyer
Possible Visa Options
Visa Type Eligibility *Caveats Legislative Instrument MLTSSL STSOL ROL Visa Subclass 189Skilled Independent LIN 19/051 Visa Subclass 190Skilled Nominated LIN 19/051 Visa Subclass 491State/Territory nominated LIN 19/051 Visa Subclass 491Family Sponsored LIN 19/051 Visa Subclass 485Graduate Work LIN 19/051 Visa Subclass 482TSS: Medium & Short term 11 LIN 19/048 Labour AgreementDAMA Visa Subclass 186ENS: TRT & DE LIN 19/049 Visa Subclass 187RSMS: TRT LIN 19/047 Visa Subclass 494SESR: Employer Sponsored LIN 19/219,
Visa Subclass 407Training: Enhance skills LIN 19/050
*Caveats / Applicable circumstances:
11: The position:
(a) is based in a front-line retail setting; or (b) predominantly involves direct client transactional interaction on a regular basis.
State/Territory Eligibility Summary Table
State/Territory Nomination Visa Subclass 190 Visa Subclass 491 List ACT Australian Capital Territory NSW New South Wales NT Northern Territory QLD Queensland (Offshore) SA South Australia TAS Tasmania Category 1 (Graduates) VIC Victoria WA Western Australia (General stream) Occupation is IN the State/Territory Skilled Occupation List and MAY be eligible if you meet the specific State/Territory nomination requirements (relevant work experience, suitable employment offer, etc.) Occupation MAY be eligible if you meet the State/Territory nomination requirements Occupation MAY NOT be eligible Occupation is IN the State/Territory Skilled Occupation List but applications are currently not being accepted Stream NOT applicable to the visa Subclass; or State/Territory has NO list and is currently not accepting applications
State/Territory Eligibility Details
639211: Retail Buyer
Selects and buys goods for resale in a retail establishment.
- Merchandise Planner
Specialisation titles are any commonly used titles which refer to a subset of jobs belonging to the occupation designated in the principal title. These jobs involve the performance of specialised tasks rather than the broader range of tasks usually performed in the occupation.
Unit Group 6392: Retail and Wool Buyers
Select and buy goods for resale in retail establishments, and value and buy wool sold by wool growers.
Indicative Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZQF Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Monitoring sales data and stock levels, and studying trade, manufacturers' and market information to keep informed of changing market conditions
- Negotiating purchase, promotion and supply arrangements with suppliers
- Designing and implementing pricing, marketing, promotional and display strategies
- Liaising with management on long-term planning and sales promotions
- Establishing working plans according to seasonal and budgetary requirements
- Anticipating consumer trends and determining quantity, style and quality of goods to be purchased
- Inspecting, comparing, selecting and valuing wool by determining colour, yield, micron and length
- Inspecting and buying wool at auction, in wool brokers' stores and in farm sheds
- Receiving samples from scoured wool exchanges
- May visit freezing works to buy slipe wool
- Other occupations in this Unit Group
- 639212: Wool Buyer
- Occupation ceilings program year 2020-2021
- Average Weekly / Annual Earnings 2018
Backlog & Invitations issued
Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2013, ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.3, cat. no. 1220.0, https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/1220.0