Last update: 18 April 2019 | see more
231212: Ship's Engineer
State Eligibility Details
Possible Visa Options
*Caveats / Applicable circumstances:
No conditions apply
State/Territory Eligibility Summary Table
State/Territory Nomination Visa Subclass 190 Visa Subclass 489 List ACT Australian Capital Territory NSW New South Wales NT Northern Territory QLD Queensland ('I'm Offshore' list) SA South Australia TAS Tasmania VIC Victoria WA Western Australia (General stream) Occupation MAY be eligible Occupation in the 'Supplementary Skilled List' or 'Special Conditions Apply' Occupation NOT on relevant 'State Occupation List', or 'Closed' status; but MAY still be eligible if you meet the requirements Occupation only available if you meet the additional requirements listed here Occupation MAY NOT be eligible
State/Territory Eligibility Details
231212: Ship's Engineer
- Controls and manages the operation and maintenance of a ship's plant and equipment. Registration or licensing is required.
- Skill Level
- Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Assessing Authority
- Alternative Titles
- Marine Engineer
Alternative titles are any commonly used alternative title (or titles) for the occupation. These alternative titles have the same meaning as the principal title but may be less commonly used.
- Mechanical Engineering Officer (Navy)
- Weapons Electrical Engineering Officer (Navy)
Specialisation titles are any commonly used titles which refer to a subset of jobs belonging to the occupation designated in the principal title. These jobs involve the performance of specialised tasks rather than the broader range of tasks usually performed in the occupation.
Unit Group 2312: Marine Transport Professionals
- Control and manage the operations of ships, boats and marine equipment.
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with an AQF Diploma or higher qualification. Ship's Engineers and Ship's Surveyors require a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
Indicative Skill Level
- Directing fishing operations by using knowledge about the species sought, fishing areas, seasons and the capabilities of the vessel and crew
- Directing crew in catching fish, molluscs and crustacea at varying depths using nets, lines, poles, pots and traps
- Planning, controlling and coordinating the operational and maintenance requirements of a ship's propulsion and domestic plant and equipment
- Operating plant and equipment and performing routine maintenance on ship's systems including mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, steam generating, and fire prevention and control systems
- Controlling and directing shipping operations to ensure the safe and efficient loading and transport of cargo and passengers
- Ensuring compliance with regulations pertaining to safety at sea and protection of the marine environment
- Directing the activities of the deck crew for navigational support tasks, berthing and unberthing, maintenance, cleaning and painting of superstructures, and repair and replacement of defective deck gear and equipment
- Navigating a ship by supervising the ship's course and speed according to predetermined passage plans and safety procedures
- Examining and approving design plans of hulls and equipment such as main propulsion engines, auxiliary boilers and turbines, electrical power generating plant, refrigeration and airconditioning plant and pumping systems
- Conducting periodic surveys throughout a ship's life to ensure standards are maintained
- Other occupations in this Unit Group
- Occupation ceilings programme year 2018-2019
- Average Weekly / Annual Earnings 2018
Explanatory Notes - Information
The term “may be eligible” relates to general eligibility and should not be misinterpreted as your individual eligibility to apply for a visa. Note that additional specific requirements and criteria also apply to visa eligibility (e.g. higher English requirements, evidences of a job offer, etc).
- Occupation List refers to the register of professional occupations which might qualify for an Australian Visa. There are 7 skilled occupation lists in total.
- MLTSSL is the acronym for 'Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List'.
- STSOL is the acronym for 'Short-term Skilled Occupation List'.
- ROL is the acronym for 'Regional Occupation List'.
- LIN 19/051, LIN 19/048, LIN 19/049, LIN 19/047, LIN 19/050 refer to current Legislative Instruments which list the table of occupations appropriate for the respective visa programmes.
- Caveats / Conditions refer to current caveats applying for a particular occupation under specific visa programmes.
The information in this website is intended to provide general information in relation to Australia’s General Skilled Migration program and the possible visa options for a particular occupation. Anzscosearch makes no warranty and will not be held liable for any loss or damage, whether direct or consequential in connection with the use of information contained in this website.
While due care has been taken to ensure that the content is kept-up-to-date and correct, the currency and thus accuracy of the information cannot be guaranteed due to the frequent changes in migration law, policy and procedures and related processes.
It is important that you directly check the information published on official websites of the Department of Home Affairs, skills assessment bodies and other government agencies such as a state/territory governments.
Australian Bureau of Statistics 2013, ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.2, cat. no. 1220.0, http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/1220.0