Last update: 14 June 2019 | see more
State Eligibility Details
Possible Visa Options
*Caveats / Applicable circumstances:
10: The position is not located in regional Australia (within the meaning of subregulation 5.19(16) of the Regulations).
State/Territory Eligibility Summary Table
State/Territory Nomination Visa Subclass 190 Visa Subclass 489 List ACT Australian Capital Territory NSW New South Wales NT Northern Territory QLD Queensland ('I'm Offshore' list) SA South Australia TAS Tasmania VIC Victoria WA Western Australia (General stream) Occupation MAY be eligible Occupation in the 'Supplementary Skilled List' or 'Special Conditions Apply' Occupation NOT on relevant 'State Occupation List', or 'Closed' status; but MAY still be eligible if you meet the requirements Occupation only available if you meet the additional requirements listed here Occupation MAY NOT be eligible
State/Territory Eligibility Details
- Diagnoses and treats dental disease, injuries, decay and malformations of the teeth, periodontal tissue (gums), hard and soft tissue found on the mouth and other dento-facial structures using surgery and other techniques. Registration or licensing is required.
- Skill Level
- Occupations at Skill Level 1 have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Assessing Authority
- Alternative Titles
- Dental Practitioner
- Dental Surgeon
Alternative titles are any commonly used alternative title (or titles) for the occupation. These alternative titles have the same meaning as the principal title but may be less commonly used.
Unit Group 2523: Dental Practitioners
- Diagnose and treat dental disease, restore normal oral function using a broad range of treatments, such as surgery and other specialist techniques, and advise on oral health.
- Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
Indicative Skill Level
- Diagnosing dental diseases using a range of methods such as radiographs, salivary tests and medical histories
- Providing preventative oral health care such as periodontal treatments, fluoride applications and oral health promotion
- Providing restorative oral care such as implants, complex crown and bridge restorations, and orthodontics, and repairing damaged and decayed teeth
- Providing oral surgical treatments such as biopsy of tissue and prescription of medication
- Performing routine orthodontic treatment
- Restoring oral function with removable and fixed oral prostheses
- Assisting in diagnosing general diseases having oral manifestations such as diabetes
- Educating patients to take care of their mouth and teeth
- Leading a dental team which may comprise Dental Hygienists, Dental Therapists, Dental Assistants and other Dental Specialists
- Other occupations in this Unit Group
- 252311: Dental Specialist
- Occupation ceilings programme year 2018-2019
- Average Weekly / Annual Earnings 2018
Explanatory Notes - Information
The term “may be eligible” relates to general eligibility and should not be misinterpreted as your individual eligibility to apply for a visa. Note that additional specific requirements and criteria also apply to visa eligibility (e.g. higher English requirements, evidences of a job offer, etc).
- Occupation List refers to the register of professional occupations which might qualify for an Australian Visa. There are 7 skilled occupation lists in total.
- MLTSSL is the acronym for 'Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List'.
- STSOL is the acronym for 'Short-term Skilled Occupation List'.
- ROL is the acronym for 'Regional Occupation List'.
- LIN 19/051, LIN 19/048, LIN 19/049, LIN 19/047, LIN 19/050 refer to current Legislative Instruments which list the table of occupations appropriate for the respective visa programmes.
- Caveats / Conditions refer to current caveats applying for a particular occupation under specific visa programmes.
The information in this website is intended to provide general information in relation to Australia’s General Skilled Migration program and the possible visa options for a particular occupation. Anzscosearch makes no warranty and will not be held liable for any loss or damage, whether direct or consequential in connection with the use of information contained in this website.
While due care has been taken to ensure that the content is kept-up-to-date and correct, the currency and thus accuracy of the information cannot be guaranteed due to the frequent changes in migration law, policy and procedures and related processes.
It is important that you directly check the information published on official websites of the Department of Home Affairs, skills assessment bodies and other government agencies such as a state/territory governments.
Australian Bureau of Statistics 2013, ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.2, cat. no. 1220.0, https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/1220.0